Technical Information for the assistance of Members
This information is provided as a guideline to assist members. Although we endeavour to keep the information updated, the EAA of SA and it’s Chapters encourage members to ensure that all information is aligned with the SACAA, who are our regulatory body in South Africa. EAA always operates within SACAA regulations.
During COVID-19 lockdown, members have been restricted to their homes and aircraft maintenance and upkeep of aircraft has been a major concern to all aircraft owners. The following points and attached documents are a recommended guideline for the maintenance of aircraft under the current lockdown circumstances ;
- Environmental conditions are a big factor in determining preventative action against corrosion.
- Both Continental and Lycoming advise against ground running engines for perceived corrosion relief.. this exacerbates the situation exponentially.
- Flights should be for a period of an hour recommended by Lycoming and Continental, in order for the oil to “boil” off moisture that may have accumulated within the engine.
- Don’t turn the prop once engine is placed in storage.
- If cylinders are to be “fogged” with inhibitor make sure it coats the entire internal surface, squirting an oil can through the plug hole will not suffice.
- Plug openings to the atmosphere (exhaust and breathers especially) with a desiccant to prevent moisture ingress. Don’t forget the red streamers to remove before flight!
- If there is any doubt as to whether there may be corrosion, do not turn the engine and have a borescope inspection done first.
- There is much info on the subject and direction should be taken from the manufacturers bulletins pertaining to the particular engine.
Engine Preservation Protocol
This web page provides the source material for the maintenance preservation protocol to support the Continued Airworthiness flights.
Group 1 & 2 – Horizontally opposed piston engines
Group 3A – In-line piston engines
Group 3B – In-line 2 stroke piston engines
Group 4 – Radial engines
COVID -19 MAINTENANCE RELATED FLIGHTS & EXTENSIONS
- Department of Transport Disaster Management Regulations as at 4May2020 DOCUMENT
- SACAA COVID-19 – Limitations Associated with Maintenance Activities in addition to the Regulations
- SACAA MAINTENANCE_RELATED_FLIGHTS_DURING_COVID_19_Rev_1 (of 7 May 2020)
AUTHORITY TO FLY
- Renewal and reissue of ATF process and regulations DOCUMENT
ANNUAL MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR AN ANNUAL INSPECTION FOR AN AMATEUR BUILT AIRCRAFT – SA-CATS 44 annex A
- ANNUAL INSPECTION TEMPLATE / Annual Maintenance Schedule – DOCUMENT
- MEMBER ANNUAL MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES are available for perusal and guidance HERE
Should you have acces to any helpful authorised information, please share this with us on firstname.lastname@example.org in order that we may upload this to the website